Clogged drains can ruin a good day. These common issues can suddenly appear and are not dealt with quickly. Quick FHS Handyman Services tries to prevent issues.
We will guide you in this article on how to fix a clogged drain. Learn six efficient ways to unclog drains, from DIY to professional plumbing tips. Remove drain issues with our effective remedies.
Causes of a Clogged Drain?
Drain clogs can be caused by a variety of circumstances, including.
- Food: Food leftovers in kitchen sinks are a major source of contamination.
- Waste hardened grease: Grease and oil accumulation in pipes can cause clogs.
- Soap scum: Soap and shampoo residue can build up in bathroom drains.
- Foreign items: Small things flushed down the drain unknowingly can block flow.
- Hair: Hair accumulated in shower and bathroom drains can cause obstructions.
- Tree roots and garden trash: Roots and debris can penetrate pipes in outdoor drains.
A Few Useful Tools To Fix Clogged Drain
Before we begin, let’s make sure you have the necessary plumbing tools.
- Plunger: Required for applying pressure to release the obstruction.
- Snake: A long, flexible wire used to reach deep obstructions.
- Bucket: For collecting any water or rubbish.
- Gloves: Rubber gloves are used for both safety and hygiene.
- Flashlight: To check the drain, use a torch.
- Adjustable wrench: For operations that require some leverage.
Let’s get started now that you’re prepared.
6 Steps to Unclog a Clogged Drain
Let’s get started with the six methods to unclog your drain.
1. Get rid of any standing water
Begin by removing any existing water in the washbasin. This is significant since having water in the washbasin might worsen the condition. You need to do this to start your next step and make space for the next step.
2. Remove Visible Blockages and Inspect Garbage Disposal
Put on your rubber gloves and look for anything visible that might be creating the problem. This might be hair, food scraps, or other detritus. Also, check your waste disposal to make sure it isn’t the source of the problem.
3. Bring water to a boil with salt, vinegar, and baking soda
Pouring a combination down the drain is the final step. You can combine table salt and hot water or baking soda and vinegar. These mixes aid in the breakdown of the blockage. Allow the combination to perform its magic in the drain for a few minutes.
4. Take a Risk
Make a good seal around the drain with a plunger. If you’re working with a sink, close the overflow hole (typically towards the top of the sink) and fill it halfway with water. Plunge now with vigour. Don’t bother about plugging any holes if it’s a toilet. Simply plunge it a few times until the drain is clean.
5. Snake and clean the P-trap
The P-trap is a curved pipe beneath the washbasin. Place a bucket beneath the table to catch any water or trash. Remove any obstructions you discover before reassembling the P-trap. Do not overtighten. If the obstruction remains, a drain snake may be required.
6. Snake the drain
You will need a drain snake if the clog is deep inside the lines and can’t be seen. Take off the P-trap to get to the straight part of the pipe (called the “stubout”). Put the snake’s head in and turn it clockwise. Keep turning until you can feel the blockage letting go. Put the P-trap back on and run warm water through the line.
Most blocked drain problems should be solved by following these procedures. Remember always to wear gloves and, if necessary, seek expert assistance if the condition persists.
With these methods and perseverance, you can say fix a clogged drain and enjoy trouble-free home plumbing. Proactive drain maintenance may save you time, money and the annoyance of unanticipated obstructions. So, make sure you have the right tools and know-how, and you’ll feel positive that you can deal with stopped drains. Remember that a little preventive goes a long way when it comes to keeping your plumbing system running properly.
Are you still backed up?
If the problem persists or you need clarification on any steps, please contact our Quick FHS clogged drain experts. We’re here to make sure your drains run smoothly.
You can call/ whatsapp us +971581121182, or send us your query at email@example.com.